On the heels of announcing that Steven Tyler’s documentary OUT ON A LIMB would open the 49th Annual Nashville Film Festival, the festival continued its lineup of major talent participation with today’s announcement of the Music Films/Music City Selections for the 2018 Festival (May 10-19, 2018). Films featuring artists as diverse as David Letterman, Ronnie and Johnny Van Zant, Brian “Head” Welch of KoRn, The Edge and Al Sharpton are included in this competition of films about music, musicians and the impact music has on our lives.
Nashville Film Festival Artistic Director Brian Owens said of the selection, “With ‘Music City’ as host of its longstanding film festival, we feel an inordinate responsibility to honor the impact of music as depicted through film. We are excited to bring six world premieres to the 2018 festival, beginning with Steven Tyler, and continuing with some of the biggest names in music and their most fervent fans. The world premiere of Steven Tyler’s documentary is an incredible way to open the festival and we’re also excited for seven Southeast US premieres and one Tennessee premiere among the nine selected.”
Below are the 2018 selections for Music Films/Music City Competition:
- Bathtubs Over Broadway (Southeast US Premiere) – Comedy writer Steve Young’s assignment to scour bargain-bin vinyl for a Late Show segment becomes an unexpected, decades-spanning obsession when he stumbles upon the strange and hilarious world of industrial musicals in this musical-comedy-documentary. Cast: Steve Young, Chita Rivera, Martin Short, David Letterman, Florence Henderson, Susan Stroman, Director: Dava Whisenant. Producer: Dava Whisenant, Amanda Spain, Susan Littenberg (USA)
- Fatherhood (Southeast US Premiere) – In this documentary feature, young people from Memphis, LA, New York and London talk about absent fathers and perform music videos of original songs they wrote for the film. Then we meet some absent fathers, explore the reasons why, and find an innovative way forward. Cast: Patrick Dailey, Flohio, Sunny War, Kids of STAX Music Academy, Kids of APCH, Kids of THE DOOR LA and NYC, Director: Ben Gregor. Producer: Ben Gregor (United Kingdom)
- If I Leave Here Tomorrow: A Film About Lynyrd Skynyrd (Tennessee Premiere) – IF I LEAVE HERE TOMORROW explores the music and backstory of the legendary American band, Lynyrd Skynyrd. Cast: Ronnie Van Zant, Johnny Van Zant, Gary Rossington, Director: Stephen Kijak. Producers: John Battsek, Diane Becker (USA)
- Industrial Accident – The Story of Wax Trax! Records (Southeast US Premiere) – Two men take a family of punks, queers and artists on a ride through the 1980s underground. Through their independent Chicago record store and label, Wax Trax! Records accidentally creates a new kind of dance music that begins to gain global recognition. Cast: Al Jourgensen, Groovie Mann, Richard 23, Trent Reznor, Jello Biafra, Ian MacKaye, Director: Julia Nash. Producers: Julia Nash, Vicki Chase (USA)
- Loud Krazy Love (Southeast US Premiere – At the downbeat of the new millennium there was no bigger, darker, or more deeply influential hard rock band in the world than KoRn. But for lead guitarist Brian Head Welch, a dream come true was giving way to a raging nightmare of self-loathing and addiction. Cast: Brian “Head” Welch, Jennea Welch, Reginald “Fieldy” Arizu, Jonathan Davis, Ray Luzier, James “Munky” Shaffer, Directors: Trey Hill, Scott Mayo, Producers: Sam Ditore, John Humphrey (USA)
- The Potential of Noise – Conny Plank (Southeast US Premiere) – "Conny” Plank is undoubtedly one of the most innovative sound designers of his time. The recordings realized in his sound studio near Cologne between the 60s and 80s, revolutionized the music world. He was the pioneer of "Krautrock” and paved the way for the revolutions of electronic and pop music respectively. Cast: Gianna Nannini, Annette Humpe, Conny Plank, Directors: Stephan Plank, Reto Caduff, Producers: Milena Fessmann, Stephan Plank, Paul Zischler (Germany)
- SATAN & ADAM (Southeast US Premiere) – One was a demon on guitar; the other was fresh out of school and no slouch on harmonica. SATAN & ADAM is a rousing celebration of friendship and the blues comprised of documentary footage shot over the course of two decades. Cast: The Edge, Harry Shearer, Al Sharpton, Director: V. Scott Balcerek. Producers: V. Scott Balcerek, Frank Marshall, J.R. Mitchell, Ryal Suffern (USA)
- Stay Human. Southeast (US Premiere) – During these turbulent times, the feeling of hopelessness is an epidemic. In a quest to hold on to humanity in the craziness of the world we live in today, STAY HUMAN takes us on an experiential journey through music and stories of some of the most inspiring people on the planet, who have chosen to overcome cynicism with optimism and hope —and remind us all what it means to STAY HUMAN. Cast: Michael Franti, Director: Michael Franti (USA)
As previously announced, Steven Tyler’s documentary STEVEN TYLER: OUT ON A LIMB will kick off the 49th Annual Nashville Film Festival with its opening night would premiere.
The Nashville Film Festival offers individual screening tickets, membership prices as low as $45 and more. To learn more, and to see the most updated agenda including available panels and events with these music supervisors, visit https://nashvillefilmfestival.org.