On Tuesday, November 01, 2016, the Asian Film Festival of Dallas (AFFD) (www.asianfilmdallas.com) opens the door for submissions of feature and short films for its 16th annual festival week, to be held July 13-20, 2017 at the Angelika Film Center in Dallas.
The Dallas-based film festival is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to celebrating and supporting emerging and established Asian and Asian-American filmmakers and sharing the rich diversity of Asian culture through the medium of cinema.
AFFD celebrates its 16th year of bringing our ever-growing audience films that often cannot be seen on the big screen outside of their countries of origin. For one week each summer at the Angelika Film Center in Dallas, TX, festival-goers and filmmakers escape the Texas heat with a variety of feature films and shorts, from all genres around the globe.
The AFFD is open to any feature film or video productions by Asian American and Asian International filmmakers, or with subject matter concerning Asian issues from any year, country, state, age, category, and serving any theme. The AFFD was founded in 2002 and has grown to become the largest showcase of Asian and Asian American films in the southern United States. Because of the unique films we exhibit, AFFD is often the only opportunity for these filmmakers' work to be exhibited in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
AFFD also presents advanced screenings of upcoming films, and participates in numerous cultural, community, and member activities throughout the year.
Submissions can be processed and details obtained at the AFFD’s Withoutabox or FilmFreeway festival page:
CATEGORIES IN CONSIDERATION
- Best Narrative Short: This category is for a fiction-based film project with a runtime of 60 minutes or less.
- Best Documentary Short: This category is for non-fiction based film projects with a runtime of 60 minutes or less.
- Best Animated/Experimental Short: This category is for a fiction-based film project with a runtime of 60 minutes or less.
- Best Documentary Feature: This category is for a non-fiction based film project with a runtime of greater than 60 minutes.
- Best Narrative Feature: This category is for a fiction-based film project with a runtime of greater than 60 minutes.
- NEW: Women’s Showcase: The Asian Film Festival of Dallas would like to present a Women’s Showcase, which will provide a platform for Asian and Asian American Women Filmmakers to present their films to the broader public and provide much needed exposure for the filmmakers and their films. This category is for a fiction or non-fiction based film project with any runtime.
GENERAL RULES – Festival Submission Guidelines
Rules and Regulations for the Annual Asian Film Festival of Dallas – Feature/Short Film Competition Program –
DEADLINES AND ENTRY FEES
- Early Deadline: February 15, 2017 (postmarked)
- Early Deadline Entry Fee: $35 (Feature film), $20 (Short film)
- Final Deadline: March 31, 2017 (postmarked)
- Final Deadline Entry Fee: $40 (Feature film), $25 (Short film)
Currently we are accepting payment by Check, Money Order (US Dollar), and Credit Card through WAB and Paypal. Please make checks payable to ASIAN FILM FESTIVAL OF DALLAS.
Absolutely NO refunds.
Feature film, short film, or video productions by Asian Americans and Asian International filmmakers, or with subject matter concerning Asian issues from any year, country, state, age, category, and serving any theme. No limit on the number of entries per person. Entry fee applies to each project submitted.
All entries should be on Blu-Ray/DVD. Please label the Blu-Ray/DVD with your project title, WAB or FilmFreeway tracking#, and your name. You may submit a work in progress (no trailer), however, if the project is not finished and turned in by deadline, it will not be eligible to be screened at that year’s festival (films received AFTER deadline will be automatically deferred to the following festival year). Secure online screeners also accepted.
*Screener copy will be returned ONLY IF a self-addressed and stamped envelope is enclosed at the time of submission.
Entries chosen for the festival may be exhibited in the following formats but is dependent on the venue and screening room of each particular program. In other words, even though we can exhibit 35 mm, doesn’t mean we will – it is dependent on the program your work is selected for. So be prepared to offer an alternative such as Blu-Ray.
35mm, HDCam (29.97, 25, 24, 23.98 compression), DCP, Digibeta, HDMOV, HDAVI and Blu-Ray are accepted exhibition formats.
*We are not responsible for lost or damaged entries.
IF YOUR WORK IS ACCEPTED, PLEASE NOTE:
• Exhibition film prints and/or tapes must be sent to the Festival pre-paid.
• Return shipping of the exhibition copy within the United States will be covered by the Festival.
• AFFD does not pay rental fees for submitted films. Instead, we choose to invest our resources in producing the best possible showcase for your work, and promoting your work as widely as possible.
ANNOUNCEMENT OF WINNERS
Winners will be announced through the service (Withoutabox or FilmFreeway) you used for submission.
ENTRY SUBMISSION CHECKLIST
1. Completed and Signed Entry Form (if submitting from AFFD website)
2. Press Kit (if available) or digital stills from film.
3. Screener DVD
4. Entry Fee
5. One-paragraph description of your film.
6. Self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of your preview tape (Optional).
7. Self-addressed stamped postcard for confirmation of received entry materials (Optional).
SUBMISSION MAILING ADDRESS
Obtained at the AFFD’s Withoutabox or FilmFreeway festival page.
All entries selected for the Festival grant AFFD the rights to use footage, stills, titles and information from the film for promotional purposes.
BE SURE TO KEEP US INFORMED OF ANY CHANGES IN YOUR ADDRESS, PHONE OR EMAIL.
ANY QUESTIONS REGARDING SUBMISSION SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO [email protected].
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
By submitting your entry to the Festival, you represent that you have the authority to do so and that you have reviewed all the AFFD submission rules and information. You agree to hold AFFD harmless and without liability for the statements you make, and you assert that there are no assigned rights, agreements, distribution agreements, production deals or any arrangements whatsoever attached to this work that would in any way interfere with the showing or screening of your entry to the public within the terms of AFFD. You further acknowledge and agree that if your entry is selected for the Festival then you grant AFFD the rights to use footage, stills, titles and information from the film for promotional purposes.