BBC AMERICA announced today two special theatrical screening events of Doctor Who’s 50th Anniversary special, Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor, in RealD™ 3D on November 23 and 25, 2013.
In association with AMC Entertainment Inc., Cinemark Holdings, Inc., and Regal Entertainment Group, BBC AMERICA makes history by honoring eleven Doctors on Saturday, November 23 with a global simulcast 3D screening event in eleven cities at the same time the 75-minute Anniversary special premieres on BBC AMERICA and across the globe. Tickets for the Saturday, November 23 screenings will go on sale October 25, 2013 at 9:00am EST for theater locations* in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Seattle, Washington DC, San Francisco, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Minneapolis. Tickets may be purchased at Cinemark.com and Fandango.com.
The festivities won’t stop there: BBC AMERICA and NCM Fathom Events are teaming up for the first time to continue the celebration, giving fans across the U.S. a chance to experience Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor in RealD™3D on Monday, November 25 for only one night in more than 300 select cinemas. Tickets will be available at participating theater box offices and online at www.fathomevents.com. For a complete list of theater locations and prices, visit the NCM Fathom Events website (theaters and participants are subject to change). The event will be broadcast via the new digital cinema projection systems.
In addition to Matt Smith, the 50th Anniversary special also stars former Time Lord David Tennant and Jenna Coleman with Billie Piper and John Hurt. The theatrical events will include specially shot introductions and The Day of The Doctor: Behind The Lens, a 10 minute behind-the-scene featurette directly following the special. The short features Matt Smith, David Tennant and Jenna Coleman with Billie Piper and John Hurt, as well as lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat, discussing their 50th Anniversary experiences.
Soumya Sriraman, EVP Home Entertainment and Licensing for BBC Worldwide North America, commented: “Doctor Who’s 50th Anniversary is truly a global celebration and we’re thrilled to bring the special to the silver screen. Our partnerships with Cinemark, AMC, Regal Cinemas and NCM Fathom Events will give fans, on November 23 and 25, the opportunity to see the Doctor in a whole new way – in RealD™ 3D.”
Since its launch in 1963, Doctor Who has become one of the world’s best loved dramas and is certified by the Guinness Book of World Records as the most successful sci-fi series ever. Doctor Who is BBC AMERICA’s highest-rated series and has received numerous awards across its 50 years. The series has enjoyed success off-air with over 10 million DVDs and 8 million action figures sold globally and is the BBC’s top series on iTunes in the U.S. and UK. BBC Worldwide, the commercial arm of the UK broadcaster, distributes Doctor Who to over 200 territories across the world.
“The Day of The Doctor is upon us and fans of the BBC AMERICA sci-fi series Doctor Who have the opportunity to see the time-travelling adventures like never before in 3D from their local movie theater,” said Shelly Maxwell, executive vice president of NCM Fathom Events. “There’s never been a better time to be a Whovian during the 50th Anniversary celebration of this huge BBC hit that’s invaded America .”
Participating theaters on Nov. 23:
- Los Angeles – Cinemark Rave 18 + IMAX (Los Angeles, CA)
- Los Angeles – Century Huntington Beach and XD (Huntington Beach, CA)
- New York – AMC Loews Village 7 (New York, NY)
- New York – Regal E-Walk Stadium 13 & RPX (New York, NY)
- Chicago – Century 12 Evanston/CinéArts 6 and XD (Evanston, IL)
- Chicago – Cinemark 16 + IMAX (Woodridge, IL)
- Philadelphia – University Penn 6 (Philadelphia, PA)
- Philadelphia – Cinemark 16 (Somerdale, NJ)
- Dallas-Ft. Worth – Cinemark West Plano + XD (Plano, TX)
- San Francisco-Oak-San Jose – Century San Francisco Centre 9 (San Francisco, CA)
- Washington, DC (Hagrstwn) – Fairfax Corner 14 + Xtreme (Fairfax, VA)
- Houston – Cinemark 17 + XD (The Woodlands, TX)
- Atlanta – Cinemark Tinseltown 17 (Fayetteville, GA)
- Seattle-Tacoma – Lincoln Square Cinema 16 with IMAX (Bellevue, WA)
- Minneapolis – AMC Southdale 16 (Edina, MN)