After 42 years the Skywalker legacy comes to a close with J.J. Abrams flashy Episode IX. A film ultimately tasked with concluding one of film history’s most beloved franchises. Here is my take on whether Abrams captured all the glory of the Star Wars world in 2 hours and 21 minutes.
To start with – NO is the answer to all of your inquiries. Here is my 9 biggest issues with JJ’s film.
- KYLO REN SUCKS – Kylo has lost all of his battles with Rey the “Jedi” with no formal training until this final film. His “Rey ESP” works across galaxies but not when she’s within 500 feet on his ship. Finn also bested him once! His mask is useless because he takes it off every time he fights. Daddy, Mommy and Granddaddy issues and a bad beef with his uncle lead him to accomplish nothing. Has the strongest military might ever assembled and loses every battle he leads.
- Disregarded and Unresolved Relationships – Rose and Finn? Rey and Finn? Poe and Finn? Poe and Everyone?
- Special Effects – 1977 Death Star Planet Explosion more spectacular than this film’s planet destruction. Don’t get me started on Abrams’ lens flares or his love of the color RED!
- Dialogue – Corny throw away lines for inspirational close-ups shouldn’t happen as often as they do in this film. Anything General Hux says. Anything Poe says. Anything Leia murmurs. All of Luke’s words.
- Early reveals – This issue started with Force Awakens when Kylo Ren was outed as Ben Solo long before he and Han have their epic confrontation. This happens once again but I’ll let them spoil it for you instead.
- Exegol – Where has this mysterious planet been in the last 42 years and why hasn’t anyone mentioned it including the most powerful Jedis (Is Jedi its own plural?) ever. Seems awfully convenient to have surprise Sith strong hold after all this time and one with the biggest fleet of star destroyers ever assembled…in ice.
- The Knights of Ren – Who are they? What are they? Why are they?
- Stormtroopers – We can give them a cool color change but we can’t get them target practice? 42 years of missing every single shot possible.
- THE RISE OF SKYWALKER – REY. IS. NOT. A. SKYWALKER! W.T.F.
Honestly this film has some nice shots of pretty places and some quality supporting droids and creatures but overall was a disappointment. There could have been so much more to the way you end this glorious franchise. If Marvel can create 20 films around one vision, why couldn’t Disney?
The final 20 minutes at least redeem some quality in the last Skywalker tale.
Directed by: J.J. Abrams
Written by: J.J. Abrams, Chris Terrio, Derek Connolly, Colin Trevorrow
Selig Rating C-
Running Time: 2hr 21min
Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Wide Release: December 19th
Starring: Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Anthony Daniels, Domhnall Gleeson, Richard E. Grant, Ian McDiarmid, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Adam Driver
The Selig Rating Scale:
A – Excellent movie, well worth the price.
B – Good movie
C – OK movie
D – No need to rush. Save it for a rainy day.
F – Good that I saw it on the big screen but wish I hadn’t paid for it.