THE FLASH: THE COMPLETE SIXTH SEASON – A Blu-ray/DVD and Digital HD Review by John Strange
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment provided me with a free copy of the Blu-raytm I reviewed in this Blog Post. The opinions I share are my own.
The sixth season sees new adversaries, a new Wells, and a crossover unlike any that have come before. Team Flash spends the first half of the season dealing with Dr. Ramsey Rosso (Sendhil Ramamurthy) aka Bloodwork, the evil that is Black Hole, and Barry’s pending death in the upcoming Crisis.
Caitlin and Rosso have a connection that helps him worm his way into Star Labs to find what he needs. His success at Star Labs aids him in his plans to “save the world.”
We also see Caitlin and Killer Frost (now called simply Frost) working out their issues. Frost begins to find her way in the “real” world. She is learning to take her “turn” as the primary control for the girl’s shared body. She seems to enjoy her role as a hero!
Then we have the Crossover to end all Crossovers, tying the Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, Batwoman, and the Legends of Tomorrow into “Crisis on Infinite Earths”. The teams face the loss of EVERYTHING. And watch for additional hero crossovers from other DC TV shows and even the DC movies!
Then the second half of the season kicks off with two dilemmas, Flash is losing his speed and a new adversary, Eva McCulloch and her mirror powers take the team by surprise. She is a threat that the team in their current condition are ill-prepared to fight.
This season is perhaps one of the busiest seasons yet, the meta criminals making the team working overtime. Barry’s diminishing access to his speed following the crisis has the team busy trying to repair it (in between bad guys).
A season this good deserves a great set of bonus extras. We have them! Beginning with a special presentation of episode #5, “Kiss Kiss Breach Breach”, shown in the format the powers that be would have loved to show it during the season. The black and white noir-style showing is good. And then they added a second copy complete with commentary by showrunner/executive producer Eric Wallace.
The deleted scenes and gag reel are better than usual and worth watching. Next was footage of the 2019 panels of each of the DC TV shows at San Diego Comic-Con. These panels are always interesting and fun to watch.
We get a special disk with all five of crossover episodes. Along with the episodes, we have a selection of extras that complement the episodes very well! Of these, my favorite has to be the featurette titled “Crisis Past and Present: Kevin Conroy Bat Legend”. Kevin is well-known for his voice-over work on the Batman animated series. In the crossover, he is given a chance to be a live-action Batman/Bruce Wayne for the first time.
This is an easy season to rate. It gets a strong 5-star rating for the action, the characters, and the dilemmas!
- Greg Berlanti, Geoff Johns, Andrew Kreisberg
- Grant Gustin, Candice Patton, Danielle Panabaker, Carlos Valdes, Hartley Sawyer, Danielle Nicolet, Efrat Dor, Tom Cavanagh, Jesse L. Martin
- Into the Void
- A Flash of The Lightning
- Dead Man Running
- There Will Be Blood
- Kiss Kiss Breach Breach
- License to Elongate
- The Last Temptation of Barry Allen, Part 1
- The Last Temptation of Barry Allen, Part 2
- Crisis on Infinite Earths: Hour Three
- Love is a Battlefield
- A Girl Named Sue
- Grodd Friended Me
- Death of the Speed Force
- The Exorcism of Nash Wells
- So Long and Goodnight
- Pay the Piper
- Success Is Assured
- The Flash: Comic Con Sizzle
- “Kiss Kiss Breach Breach – Noir” (Special Episode)
- “Kiss Kiss Breach Breach – Noir” Commentary by showrunner/executive producer Eric Wallace
- Deleted Scenes
- Gag Reel
- The Best of DC TV’s Comic-Con Panels San Diego 2019
- BONUS DISC
- All Five Epic Episodes of the DC Crossover Event Crisis on Infinite Earths from Supergirl, Batwoman, The Flash, Arrow and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow
- Special Features:
- Crisis on Infinite Earths: The Architects Return
- Crisis Management
- Crisis Past and Present: Kevin Conroy Bat Legend
- Crisis Past and Present – Superman vs. Superman
- Characters in Crisis: Pariah
- Character in Crisis: The Anti-Monitor
- 836 Minutes
- 136 Minutes
- Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Inc.
- A/1 (U.S. and Canada only)
- 5 Stars
Bonus Features Rating:
- 5 Stars
Picture Quality Rating:
- 5 Stars
Audio Quality Rating:
- 5 Stars
Selig Rating Scale:
5 Stars: Should add to your DVD collection at any cost
4 Stars: Worth owning, but try to catch it a sale
3 Stars: Plan to get it, but wait to buy it used
2 Stars: Worth taking a look at, but not owning
1 Star: Pick it up at a garage sale and use it for drinks
0 Stars: Makes a great Trap Shooting target